What are some common allergens?
What are some of the common allergens your patients are exposed to?
Some typical allergens are1,2:
- Tree, grass, and weed pollen
- Dust mites
- Pet dander
Allergen exposure can also derive from2:
- Backyard leaf piles
Allergen avoidance is the first line of defence against allergic rhinitis (AR) 3
In addition to oral antihistamines and intranasal corticosteroids, first-line treatment for allergies should also involve the avoidance of triggers that may cause an allergic reaction.3
Avoidance strategies include3:
- Use of allergen-impermeable covers for bedding
- Keeping relative humidity in the home below 50% to inhibit mite growth
- Reducing pollen exposure by keeping windows closed, using air conditioning, and limiting the amount of time spent outside during peak pollen season
- Minimize exposure to, or ownership of pets
Unfortunately, while avoidance is ideal, it is not always realistic.