Otrivin 0.1% Nasal Spray
Otrivin 0.1% Nasal Spray contains xylometazoline, a topical decongestant, which acts locally on the nasal mucosa.
- Relief is immediate – within a matter of 2-5 minutes, rather than up to half an hour for oral decongestants4
- It provides a longer duration of action – up to 12 hours; oral decongestants only last for half that time4
Otrivin 0.1% nasal spray (0.1% xylometazoline hydrochloride)
For patients who are looking for fast and long-lasting relief of nasal congestion.1-3
0.14 mg of Xylometazoline hydrochloride
Benzalkonium chloride (as a preservative), Sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, Disodium phosphate dodecahydrate, Disodium edetate, Sodium chloride, Sorbitol 70% (Non crystallising), Methylhydroxypropylcellulose 4000 mPa.s, Purified water
Always follow the label instructions.
Otrivin should only be used for adults and children 12 years of age and over.3
- Otrivin 0.1% Nasal Drops : 2-3 drops of 0.1% solution, in each nostril. Repeat as needed, generally 3 times daily per day are sufficient.
- Otrivin 0.1% Metered Dose : Nasal Spray 1 spray puff from 0.1% metered-dose spray in each nostril. Repeat as needed, generally 3 times daily per day are sufficient.
Dont exceed the recommendation dose.
- Clear your nose gently
- Before using, practice using the dropper to develop good dosage control.
- Tilt your head back as far as is comfortable or, if lying on a bed, hang the head over the side.
- Without touching the dropper to the nose, apply the drops into each nostril and keep the head tilted back for a short time to allow the drops to spread throughout the nose.
- If the drop completely misses your nose, administer the drop again.
- If any part of the drop gets into your nose, do not administer the drop again.
- Repeat with the other nostril.
- Clean and dry the dropper before replacing it back into the bottle right after use.
- To avoid possible spread of infection, the bottle should only be used by one person.
Xylometazoline, like other sympathomimetic agents, should be used with caution in patients showing a strong reaction to adrenergic substances, as manifested by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremors, cardiac arrhythmia, or elevated blood pressure.
Otrivin should be used with caution in patients with: hypertension, cardiovascular disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, phaeochromocytoma, prostatic hypertrophy, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) treatment, or who have received them in the last two weeks.
As with other topical vasoconstrictors, Otrivin 0.1% should not be used for more than 7 consecutive days: prolonged or excessive use may cause rebound congestion and/or atrophy of the nasal mucosa.3
Keep out of sight and reach of children.
Common side effects, with an incidence of approximately 10%,include dryness or irritation of the nasal mucosa, nausea, headache, or a local burning sensation.3 Occurring at a much lower incidence of approximate 0.0001%, are allergic reactions, including difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, blurred vision, and irregular heartbeat.3
Do not use Otrivin Original before talking to your doctor or pharmacist if any of the below apply:3
- you have high blood pressure
- you suffer from heart disease
- you have an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)
- you suffer from diabetes
- you have an enlarged prostate gland (prostatic hypertrophy)
- you have a rare tumour of the adrenal gland that produces high amounts of adrenaline and noradrenaline (phaeochromocytoma)
- you are taking certain medicines used for the treatment of depression. These medicines are:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI): do NOT use (X) if you are taking or have been taking MAOIs within the last 14 days
- tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants As with other products for the relief of a blocked nose, Otrivin Original may give rise to sleep disturbances, dizziness, or tremors in very sensitive patients. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.3