Where are allergens found?
Where are patients encountering these allergens? Some allergens are more obvious than others.
Some common allergens are1:
- Tree, grass, and weed pollen
- Dust mites
- Pet dander
Some less obvious allergens are2:
- Dirty pillows
- Back yard leaf piles
Allergen avoidance is the first line of defence against allergic rhinitis (AR) 3
In addition to oral antihistamines and intranasal corticosteroids, first-line treatment for allergies also involves the avoidance of triggers that may cause an allergic reaction.3
Avoidance strategies include3:
- Use of allergen-impermeable covers for bedding
- Keeping relative humidity in the home below 50% to inhibit mite growth
- Reducing pollen exposure by keeping windows closed, using air conditioning, and limiting the amount of time spent outside during peak pollen season
- Avoiding exposure to or ownership of pets
Unfortunately, while avoidance is ideal, it is not always realistic.